My first ever visit to the Far East was to Singapore and I often think that Singapore is one of the best destinations to visit first when travelling to this very different part of the world. You will be greeted by a chic, cosmopolitan and very safe city. Colours, smells and culture are in abundance but you are somehow protected from the brashness and poverty that many other Asian cities have, Singapore is truly a city of many contrasts. It is a relatively small city, but don’t be fooled as its big in surprises that are hidden in every nook and cranny. Historical shop fronts and pre-war buildings stand amidst a backdrop of modern skyscrapers and architectural wonders.
Top 10 things to do in Singapore:
- The Botanical gardens house the largest collection of orchids in the world, it’s a must even if you are not a garden lover
- Be sure to visit Sentosa Island, often known as “Asia’s Favourite Playground”. It is located 15 minutes away from the city center and features exciting attractions that make it a wonderful island resort for rest and recreation. The island served as a fortress in the 19th century and became a military base after the Second World War. These days, Fort Siloso still stands as a military museum that displays old guns and war memorabilia.
- Enjoy a stroll around Chinatown and you will enjoy a delightful mix of old and new in the city’s central area
- An absolute must is a visit to the famous Raffles Hotel, you must treat yourself to a Singapore Sling Cocktail here. The stunning colonial style is a joy
- Visit Gardens by the Bay – 101 hectares of green space in the centre of the city, all designed as a tourist heaven as an urban garden in the city centre. The park is divided into three major sections: Bay South Garden, Bay East Garden and Bay Central Garden.
- The Sands SkyPark Observation Deck is a popular tourist attraction that overlooks Singapore from the top of the iconic Marina Bay Sands Hotel. The wood-floored viewing area is located at the “stern” of the ship-shaped SkyPark. The observation deck offers a spectacular 360-degree view of Singapore with guided tours conducted daily
- The Marina Bay Waterfront Promenade – great location, some of the best hotels are here and the views are wonderful. If you are not staying here you should take a stroll along the waterfront as there is so much to offer. Every night is a fantastic water show –Wonder Full – which is thought to be the largest light and water show in Southeast Asia
- Orchard Road, famous shopping strip and often known as the ‘fashion street’ of Singapore
- Visit the Southern Ridges for some beautiful naturals sites– it is a 5.6-mile recreational trail that connects five parks along the southern ridge of Singapore—Mount Faber Park, Telok Blangah Hill, HortPark, Kent Ridge Park, and Labrador Nature Reserve.
- My last couple of tips are why not take the cable car to Sentosa island, the views are spectacular and do try the underground. It’s so efficient, so clean and so safe.
Good to Know
Read the basic information and also some fun facts about Singapore! Here you will find everything you should know…